The field of dermatology is constantly changing. Many of the new treatments now available can alleviate skin conditions that cause discomfort, are unhealthy or unattractive. I want to help you get the best of what today’s medicine has to offer. To do so, I’m constantly monitoring the latest developments in my field and bringing them to my patients. Laser and skin cancer surgery, pediatric dermatology and cosmetic dermatology are all areas I specialize. As my patient, you’ll be treated with compassion, understanding and skill. During your appointment I’ll explain your condition and welcome your questions. I enjoy teaching, therefore I occasionally have residents in my office training under my supervision. Throughout the year I do several lectures to other physician groups about what’s new in dermatology and therapies.
Before Grand Rapids became my home, I was born in Chicago and raised in Lansing, Michigan where I graduated with the first class from Lansing Catholic Central High School. After graduating from Central Michigan University, I spent over 7 years in research for Dow Pharmaceuticals both in Midland, Michigan and Indiana; I also attended Butler University where I earned my Master's degree in Pharmacology. I completed my medical school education and residency in dermatology at Indiana University Medical Center.
My wife, Patti, and I are tremendously proud of our two sons and deeply involved in their many activities. My personal interests include golf, gardening, boating, Big Ten Basketball and NFL football.
- B.S., Central Michigan University
- M.S., Pharmacology, Butler University
- M.D., Indiana University School of Medicine Residency, Dermatology: Indiana University Medical Center
- Specialized Training:
- Laser Surgery
- Skin Cancer Surgery
- Spider Vein Therapy
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Kent County Medical Society
- Michigan State Medical Society
- Michigan Dermatological Society
- National Psoriasis Foundation
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
- Dermatology Foundation Leaders Society
- Professional Achievements & Awards:
- Clinical Associate Professor: Michigan State University, College of Human Medicine
- Clinical Associate Professor P. A. Program: Grand Valley State University
- National Registry of Who's Who
- Ashack, R. J., Psoriasis and Electrology, An Overview, Perspectives for the Medically Oriented Electrologist, Fall 1994
- Ashack, R.J., Summer Skin Care for Children, Our Children Magazine, June 1994
- Ashack, R. J., Tej ada, E., Parker, C., Hanke, C. W., A Localized A tropic Plaque on the Back, Arch. Dermatol., 1992
- Ashack, R.J., Frost, M.D., Norins, Art, Papular Pruritic Eruption of dermodex Folliculitis in Patients with Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. J. Am. Acad. Dermatol., 1989:21:306
- Ashack, R.J., Farber, M.O., Weinberger, M.H., Robertson, G.L., Fineberg, N.S., Manfredi, F., Renal and Hormonal Responses to Acute Hypoxia in Normal Individuals. J.Lab. Clin. Med., 1985: 106:12
- Ashack, R.J. Effects of Verapaniil on Histamine and Acetylcholine-Induced Bronchospasms in Anesthetized Rhesus Monkeys. M.S. Thesis, 1982
- Ashack, R.J., McCarthy, L.P., Malek, R. S., Goodman, F.R., Peet, N.P., Evaluation of Rotenone and Related Compounds as Antagonist of SRS-A. J.Med. Chem., 19080:23, 1022
- O'Neil, R.M., Ashack, R.J., Goodman, F.R. A Comparative Study of respiratory Responses to Bronchoactive Agents in Rhesus and Cynomologous Monkeys. M. Of Pharinacol. Methods, 1981:5, 267.
- O'Neil, R.M., Ashack, R.J., Goodman, F.R. A Comparative Study of respiratory Responses to Bronchoactive Agents in Rhesus and Cynomologous Monkeys. Presented at the Fall (I980) meeting for the American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Rochester, MN. The Pharmacologist 22, #3 (1980) (Abstract 236). (1981)